I recently had an issue with one of my App Volumes server: even if my server was down in an App Volumes point of view (connection lost the database), my Kemp load balancer see it up and running because: the web interface was up and favicon.ico was also available.
The template for App Volumes (part of Horizon 7 Template) is, in my opinion not complete and it missed the right way to configure health check
So the right way to configure load balancer ‘s health check is the following :
For Kemp :
- In the Real Server Check Method, select HTTPS Protocol
- In the URL field, type /health_check.
- Enable Use HTTP/1.1
- In the HTTP Method, select GET if not already the case.
- In the Name field, type a unique name such as AppVolumes-Monitor.
- From the Type list, select HTTPS.
- Set the Interval to 30 Seconds
- Set the Timeout to 15 Seconds
- In the Send String field, type (Change the FQDN-For-AppVolumes to your FQDN)
GET /health_check HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: FQDN-FOR-AppVolumes\r\nConnection: Close\r\n\r\n
- In the Receive String field, type
- Click Finished.